A Very Merry Unbirthday To Lykah

Hi! I'm back with another experiment icing recipe. This time I use boiled icing to frost these cakes. In my observation, it's so difficult to pipe using boiled icing. It feels so sticky and the design won't hold that long everytime you pipe it. My designs drooped all over the cake. I don't know what's wrong with this icing recipe. I hate to say it but I'm really disappointed of the outcome of this icing recipe though I admit this icing really taste great. For me, it's not too sweet and it looks so glossy on your cake which I like. Anyway, this boiled icing recipe used a lot of corn syrup than sugar. I hope I can find an answer soon why my designs won't hold that long. Maybe I did something wrong while making this icing. Ugh! I have to make another batch again tomorrow. 
Meanwhile, me and my friend Lykah decided to have a pretend birthday and that answers the question why this post is entitled "A Very Merry Unbirthday To Lykah". Actually, were just havin' some silly moments blowing the candle. The colors turned out very good in the picture and the nonpareils adds a little detail on this very simple chocolate cake. If you're looking for the recipe of this boiled icing here it is. 

Ingredients:

2 egg whites
1/8 tsp. salt
1 c. white corn syrup
1/4 c. sugar
1-1/2 tsps. vanilla

Directions:

Beat egg whites and salt to form soft peaks.

In a saucepan, combine the corn syrup and sugar. Cook over low heat while stirring constantly. Allow the mixture to reach a full boil.

While still beating the egg whites, add the syrup mixture in a slow steady stream. Add vanilla and continue beating until the egg whites hold stiff peaks.

Frost as soon as possible.

Add gradually confectioner's sugar if your mixture won't come to a soft peak.














Update:
I just found the answer why my icing designs didn't hold because when using boiled icing, detailed designs are not advisable because of it's softness and fluffiness. The ripple, swirl, and peak patterns are three designs that work well with this frosting.

Tips on storing Boiled Frosting:
  • This fluffy white frosting is best when used as soon as it is made, but if necessary it can be stored for a day.
  • When storing the frosting, be sure to cover it tightly; and then refrigerate. If it is not stored airtight it will begin to set.
  • Once the boiled frosting has been spread on the cake, it can be stored at room temperature, but refrigerating it will help keep the frosting soft and fluffy longer.
  • Cover the cake with a domed cake server or a large container that is deep and wide enough to not disturb the frosting when placed over the cake.
  • Freezing the boiled frosting is not recommended.

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.

Top Post Ad

Below Post Ad