White + Rainbow + Doll Cake

Yesterday was my grandma's 77th birthday and I want to bake something for her and decided to make a rainbow cake decorated with a doll or a barbie. In order to bake a rainbow cake, you need a recipe for a white cake. I've searched through Youtube but can't find a decent rainbow cake recipe. Good thing Martha Stewart's recipe for a white cake have a very good review and I gave it a try. This recipe is indeed very good because it's not too sweet at all. Everything is perfect about this cake. For those who don't want to use cake mix and really want to start from scratch, this white cake recipe is a keeper. Also, this rainbow cake I'm baking is great for kiddie birthdays and just plain show off to your friends and family. They will probably wonder how you made it. Now, get those bake-ware tools now and let's start making this awesome cake. 

Ingredients:
  1. 2 sticks (equivalent to 226 grams/ 1 whole pack of butter + 1 tbsp. butter) in room temperature (softened)
  2. 2 1/3 cup (466 grams) of white sugar
  3. 5 medium egg whites or 4 large egg whites in room temperature.
  4. 2 tsp. vanilla ( I use Ferna or McCormick brand)
  5. 3 cups all- purpose flour
  6. 4 tsp. baking powder
  7. 1/2 tsp. fine salt
  8. 1 1/2 cup of milk (fresh or whole milk)
  9. food coloring (gel based or water based food colors)
Procedure:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F or 176 degree C.
  2. Line your cake pan with a wax paper or if you don't have just greased the pan thickly and thoroughly using butter.
  3. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt together. (flour mix)
  4. Cream or mix the sugar and butter in a separate bowl.
  5. Add egg whites one at a time to while mixing them using an electric whisk at medium to high speed.
  6. Add vanilla and mix until fully incorporated.
  7. Alternate between wet and dry ingredients. 
  8. Add the milk into the mixture.
  9. Divide the batter into separate bowls depending on how many colors you want to make. If you have 4  kinds of food color use 4 bowls. Gel food colors are more vibrant than water based food coloring. 
  10. Pour the colored batter evenly to same size pans. if you want a more uniform result later on follow the first image or the image on the left. But in my case, I only have 2 cake pans. What I did is, pour each colored batter one at a time into the pan but making sure not to mix the 2 colors 'coz the resulting color would not be very nice. The technique is like marbling. I put 4 colored batter in each pan and in equal parts and that's the image on the right side for reference.
                     
  11. Bake the cake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean but baking time will differ to the depth of the pan and the kind of oven. Just follow the toothpick technique and you'll never be wrong.
  12. Cool the cake or refrigerate it first before getting it out of the pan. This is to avoid crumbling or cracking of the cake. Then your cake is now ready for frosting. 

Note:
  • When the cake is done, it doesn't look that good but don't worry it's all in the outside you can cover it with frosting. This is how my cake looked like after baking and without frosting.
     
  • This is how the cake will look like when frosted and sliced. It's very very pretty right?
                         
this cake was frosted and crumb coated using buttercream

Below are some photos of this beautiful cake. I hope you'll all like it. I had fun baking, frosting and decorating this cake but one thing's for sure, making a rainbow cake is pretty messy. Don't forget to clean the kitchen thoroughly after baking!!! Bon Appetit!









Other Facts:
  • I only use half  the body of the doll since the only doll I got is a mermaid. That's why I didn't include it's tail.
  • I use a cupcake to make the waist part and stick a plastic fork to hold the doll's body. 
  • While baking this cake, I realized we have no milk on the fridge, I substitute condensed milk instead by mixing 1 tablespoon of condensed milk and 1 cup water. This mixture will make a hint of milk that it's not too sweet. 
  • I also run out of butter for my frosting. I went to the local grocery store and they don't have unsalted butter and I just use salted butter instead. I put a little bit of lemon extract also to the buttercream frosting to taste. Thank God, it still tastes great. I was afraid it may taste a little odd but it's not. 
  • I use water based food colors because I don't have gel based food colors. 
  • The kid on the photos is my friend's only daughter. She really can't resist the cake and the reason why the cake is eaten and sliced. (lol!)
  • Weird right? I originally made this cake for my Grandma and she didn't get to taste it because I didn't sent it. I just ordered  a doll cake to my friend 'coz she lives near to my grandma's house. By the way, I live 19 hours away from my grandma. My friends just ate it to celebrate my Grandma's 77th birthday. I hope and pray God will bless her more years to come into her life because we, her family really love her.

Credits to the photos I use on the example above to Izzybeth & Kerrycooks






Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.

Top Post Ad

Below Post Ad